Thursday 27 September 2012

Mae Whitman Talks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Returning to Arrested Development and a Potential Korra Appearance

Just from taking a peek at her resume, it's clear that Mae Whitman has enjoyed a diverse and successful career. In her 18 years of acting, the 24-year-old has portrayed dozens of memorable characters, including Ann Veal in Arrested Development, Katara in Avatar: The Last Airbender and Roxy Richter in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. More recently, she can be seen on NBC's Parenthood, which is now in its fourth season.

IGN recently had the opportunity to speak with Whitman about her new role voicing April O'Neil on Nickelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, as well as her upcoming appearance in the much-anticipated Arrested Development: Season 4. And, of course, we couldn't resist asking about The Legend of Korra as well...

IGN TV: Obviously, this isn't the first show you've recorded for Nickelodeon, but can you talk to me a bit about how you got involved with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Mae Whitman: Yes, I actually had to audition, but I've been friends with Nickelodeon, and I love working with them on everything - they're just the coolest people ever. But yeah, I still auditioned. When I got home they called me up and said, "Can you come in and work with the creative team on this?" So I did, and I was very passionate and excited about it. It all kind of fell into place after that. I feel really lucky to be a part of it.

IGN: A lot of people grew up with these characters, and TMNT has changed a lot over the years. What was your own personal take on this version of April O'Neil?

Whitman: Well, April is younger in this version, which I think is really cool. She's still the same girl, just younger, so I think it'll be fun for fans of the originals to see another side of April. But I definitely wanted to keep her same sense of intelligence and kindness because she has all of these amazing qualities. I also think it's really nice to see a human element down there in the sewer with the Turtles -- she's kind of the only female energy that they have. It's a really cool way to have her be a part of the team, and she's very much a part of their family, it seems.

IGN: Like you said, she's kind of the central female lead in this. What's that dynamic like recording alongside all those guys in the studio?

Whitman: Yeah, you know, we try to record together whenever we can. For me, doing cartoons is one of the most fun things in the entire universe, especially when you get to read with these guys because they're so smart and so funny. Just sitting in there with them, all those guys are so cool, and they already feel like family. I feel like it really helps to record together to kind of get that sense. I just love that; I think it adds a lot of life and really makes it feel like you were there, in the moment, as it's happening.

April O'Neil (Mae Whitman) and friends in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

IGN: Ninja Turtles is such a huge brand at this point. What has the experience been like for you coming aboard a franchise that already has such a dedicated, built-in fanbase?

Whitman: Everybody's been so great, and we're such huge fans of the franchise already. We're just happy to be adding anything we can to it, and I think that comes across. We're very passionate about it, and I think everybody who's talked about it is really excited for it. I know I'm excited to help keep the legacy going. It's got the same energy and the same life as the originals, but it's great getting to share it with a new generation, you know, going to Comic-Con and meeting all of these amazing fans and hearing them be so positive. I think it's going to be really great. I'm just so happy to be a part of it.

IGN: You mentioned that you're introducing the TMNT franchise to a whole new generation of fans. What would you say is the biggest difference or selling point for this particular interpretation?

Whitman: That's a good a question. From my perspective, with April being younger, I really like the idea of girls being able to relate to her and look up to her as a role model, because she is very smart and independent. I hope that girls see that and want to watch the show. That's one side of it that I think is really cool. Also, the show is so funny -- that's one thing I'll tell you. I think what's incredible about this version is that it is really, truly funny. Every time I read a new script, I just find myself laughing out loud, a lot. [Laughs] A lot of the original bad guys show up, too. It's a cool mix of an homage to the originals with a few new elements added in. And you really get to see the main characters' relationships progress, which I love as well. You spend a lot of time getting to know them and each of their individual personalities.

IGN: I also want to briefly ask you about Arrested Development. I know you can't say much about it yet, but can you talk a little about returning for the new season?

Whitman: Yeah, you know, from the beginning when I found out that there was going to be more, I was like, "Well, I will do whatever it takes to be a part of it. I don't care what I do, even if it's just me walking around in the background." [Executive producer] Mitchell Hurwitz is such a genius. I just think that he has a master plan, and I put my trust in it; I think he really knows how to tell a story. There's nothing I wouldn't do to be a part of it, and I'm so happy that they're doing more. It's just amazing, and so wonderful.

Mae Whitman in Arrested Development

IGN: Lastly, our readers are also huge fans of the Avatar series. Is there any possibility that you might come back to record for The Legend of Korra at some point, too?

Whitman: I'd say, definitely. Those guys are all my friends. We're cut from the same cloth, and I'm obviously a huge fan of that as well. I love that the fans are so passionate about it. And going to Comic-Con and seeing people dressed up as Katara just makes me so happy. I'm also glad there's a new story to follow. I know it probably wouldn't be Katara, but if there was any way I could be a part of that -- and I think it's on their radar that I'm really passionate about all their projects -- I wouldn't be surprised if I somehow weaseled my way onto that show as well.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles premieres Saturday, September 29, at 11am on Nickelodeon.

Max Nicholson is a writer for IGN, and he desperately seeks your approval. Show him some love on Twitter and IGN.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment