Friday 31 August 2012

Benedict Cumberbatch "Cynical" About Rival Sherlock Show Elementary

Sherlock Holmes himself – Benedict Cumberbatch – has been talking about Elementary, the forthcoming modern-day TV take on the character.

And much like Sherlock showrunner Steven Moffat’s comments on the rival show (see video below), Cumberbatch is none-too-pleased.

Speaking to Shortlist, the actor said that’s he’d spoken to the other Sherlock, Johnny Lee Miller…

Jonny asked me if I was all right with him doing it. I said, “What are the similarities?” And he went, “Well it’s modern...” I went, “Oh.” Then he said, “Lucy Liu’s going to play Joan Watson...” And I went, “Oh.” I got hold of the pilot script just to check it out. I don’t know, we’ll see. I think there’s room for us both to coexist. I don’t feel threatened by it and I wish him the best, which is as diplomatic as I can be.”

Cumberbatch then questioned their motives for making the show in the first place.

“It’s very odd” he explained. “I did say, “Well, I’d prefer you didn’t do it but you’ve got a kid to feed, a nice house in LA and a wife to keep in good clothes.” When you get used to a certain standard of living and they waft a pay cheque at you, what are you going to do? I think Jonny was like, “Mate, I’ve got the f*cking mountain to climb here [to reach the acclaim of Sherlock], you’ve got nothing to fear.” I wish him the best of luck, but I’m a bit cynical about why they’ve chosen to do it and why they cast him.”

Head over to Shortlist to read Cumberbatch talking more Sherlock, teasing his role in Star Trek 2 and offering his thoughts on Otters Who Look Like Benedict Cumberbatch.

Chris Tilly is the Entertainment Editor for IGN and couldn't be less excited about Elementary. His idle chit-chat can be found on both Twitter and MyIGN.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment