Friday 20 September 2013

TGS: PlayStation 4’s PlayRoom is Everything I Didn’t Know I Wanted

Before yesterday, I thought I figured out everything I should be excited about for the PlayStation 4 in 2013. I want to play Watch Dogs and Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag on it. I’m thrilled that Sony is hitting the ground running with amazing downloadable games like Resogun, Contrast, and Tiny Brains. But what I didn’t realize about the PS4 launch was that the thing I’d be most excited about was something that was coming preinstalled on each and every console.

The PlayRoom is less a game and more of a toy. But regardless, it’s one of the coolest and most impressive toys I’ve played with in years.

Think of PlayRoom as a proof of concept for what the PS4, PS4 Eye, and DualShock 4 are capable of. The short demo I saw went through a gamut of features that utilized each component of the experience to form a cohesive and incredibly fun little toy. Scanning objects highlighted the various motors in the new controller that allow a more subtle and unique rumble sensation. Little robots that roamed around in front of our television could be kicked and swatted, or if you’re in a more playful mood, covering your face would lead them to wander around the floor searching for you. Once you popped out, they would hop up and down in excitement. Yep, neat as hell.

You could also suck up the robots inside of the controller, and could then feel them bouncing around when you shook it. Rubbing the touchscreen took us inside of the DualShock 4, where we saw the robots hanging out inside the cramped controller. Hitting buttons changed the lighting, and tilting the controller made them slide along with the tilt. Again, it’s incredibly simple in theory, but so much fun in execution. This might be the best use of motion and camera technology that I’ve ever experienced in a game, and I can’t wait to see more.

Despite how cool this was, even better is the news that DLC is already in the works, all of it will be free, and DoubleFine is working on one piece right now. Seeing how neat their Kinect games turned out, I can only imagine how zazy their PlayRoom game ends up turning out. Sony also mentioned how other developers have expressed interest in contributing DLC, and thinking about what teams like Media Molecule or Capy could do with PayRoom is incredibly exciting.

As you can clearly see from the video at the top of this article, I couldn’t help but grin like a complete fool throughout the entirety of my time with The PlayRoom. It’s the first thing to ever make me care about the PlayStation Eye, and it’s the sole reason that I’m going to buy one for the PS4.

Marty Sliva is an Associate Editor at IGN. He had way too much fun toying around with The PlayRoom at TGS. Follow him on Twitter @McBiggitty and on IGN.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment