Thursday 28 March 2013

IDW Gives G.I. Joe the Deluxe Hardcover Treatment

IDW took the reins of the G.I. Joe comic book franchise several years ago. In addition to creating an entirely new Joe universe through books like G.I. Joe and G.I. Joe: Cobra, the publisher has focused plenty of attention to collecting classic G.I. Joe stories from the Marvel Comics era. Most of those collected editions are aimed at budget-conscious collectors. But with the movie G.I. Joe: Retaliation bringing new attention to the franchise, IDW has decided the time is ripe for more high-end G.I. Joe collections.

Check Out IDW's Crazy Deluxe Transformers Hardcover

The IDW Limited Imprint will be publishing a new series of hardcovers that focuses both on the current IDW series and the classic Marvel stories. The first volume in this new line is G.I. Joe: The Complete Collection Vol. 1. This oversized hardcover (measuring 11-inches by 7-inches) collects sixteen issues from writer Larry Hama and and artist Herb Trimpe's run on G.I. Joe: A real American Hero from the '80s. The issues will be rearranged into proper reading order for this collection.

Red Label Edition

IDW Limited will be publishing two versions of this hardcover. The "Red Label" edition is limited to 250 copies and is contained in a specially designed slipcase cover. The cover price for this edition is $125. The more exclusive "Black Label" edition is limited to 50 copies and ships in a limited edition tray case. The Black Label version also includes some of Trimpe's original art for the series. This edition has a cover price of $300.

“G.I. Joe is a book that’s close to my heart,” said Trimpe in IDW's press release. “It’s great to see how IDW’s handled the title. Their run’s been excellent, and when they decided to launch this limited line collecting the early work that we all worked so hard on, I was thrilled to be chosen to provide art for this special edition. G.I. Joe is a timeless tradition, and drawing these pieces took me back to a different time, when I was a fan and artist who loved these characters deeply.”

Black Label Edition

Both versions are currently available for pre-order on IDW's website. However, the website lists the Black Label hardcover as limited to 25 copies rather than 50 and at a cover price of $350, not $300. We're not sure if this is meant to be an even more rare website-exclusive or if IDW's press release had erroneous pricing. We've reached out to them for clarification, and we'll update you when we learn more.

In addition to more installments of G.I. Joe: The Complete Collection, IDW Limited's future releases will cover series like G.I. Joe: Cobra, The Last Laugh, the Danger Girl/G.I. Joe crossover, and IDW's ongoing series.

Jesse is a writer for various IGN channels. Allow him to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket by following @jschedeen on Twitter, or Kicksplode on MyIGN.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment