Sunday 28 April 2013

C2E2: Parks and Rec Star Wars Rant Explained

Recently, renowned geek, stand-up comedian and actor Patton Oswalt waxed nerdic in a lengthy filibuster scene on NBS's Parks and Rec. His rant discussed a mixed Star Wars/Avengers universe, during 8 minutes of heightened improv that covered a lot of nerdy territory. At his C2E2 panel, he explained how the scene came about: "If you listen, Amy Poehler Is mic'd and so is Jon Glaser. They told me that they just needed me to talk for a minute in the background while Amy Poehler and John Glaser had this quick discussion.  What I didn't know is that Amy and Aziz and the writers went, 'Don't yell cut and let's see how long he'll talk.

"I'm a huge fan of Parks and Rec and I was very excited to get booked, so I was very much like, 'I really want to do a good job so badly,' and I think they sort of sensed that and went, 'Let's see what he does!' So that's what I did. I just kept going, and in my mind I was… going to use The Fountain as a way to pull in Patrick McGoohan from The Prisoner somehow, but my mouth literally dried up.

"Nothing shows me how realistic what I did was until I read the comments online, where [in mocking voice], 'Oh, so Hawkeye and Black Widow are second tier, and yet, you bring up Moon Knight, which I find very interesting… ' My character is such a douche, basically. I was doing every argument that I'd seen online and I just got the same arguments back."

For more on the show, check out IGN's C2E2 page.

Chris Carle is the Entertainment Editorial Director of IGN. He often talks at length about Star Wars, and there's nothing nerdy about it. NOTHING. Follow Chris on Twitter @chriscarle and IGN.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment