Sunday 28 April 2013

C2E2: Patton Oswalt on New Star Wars Trilogy

Comedian Patton Oswalt has been very vocal in comedy routines about the mistakes made in the Star Wars prequels. Over the weekend, at his C2E2 Q&A, Oswalt shed light on how he feels about the next trilogy of films. He said: "I'm skeptical, but I'm hopeful, and here's why: when Lucas did Star Wars, he absolutely hit the jackpot. He doubled down and a six and a five, they dealt him a 10, and then he said, he wisely said, 'Hey, I'm going to walk away from the table. They're comping my room, they're comping my dinner, I'm good. I'll just get some proposition player here to keep my streak going. And he just got gunslinger, unflappable writers and directors to come in and just deepen the saga. So, now that's happening again.

"In between doing that, in the Seventies and Eighties, and the prequels era, much like Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now, he went off to the jungles of Marin County and went crazy and just said, 'I'll just conceive all this myself, and anything I write on my legal pad will become gospel, and so it was First Draft Theater for 200 million dollars!

"As much crap as I give George Lucas, we're still arguing about [Star Wars]. People don’t argue about the Bible as much as we argue about 'Why would you introduce Midi-chlorians?' It's like he went to the dark side for a bit and now he got the Yoda wisdom where he said, 'I'm just going to give this up to someone else and let them do it.' It's like now he's doing the same thing he did between Star Wars and Empire; handing it off to other people, so that makes me very optimistic. I have so little left in my life! I'm clinging on to anything!"

He continued, "I was having lunch with Brad Bird and we were talking about Star Wars, and he's… a very positive revisionist. We were talking about Star Wars and Empire and Jedi, and I said, 'I kinda like Jedi, I just thought it got a little crazy with the Ewoks.'

"And he goes, 'Jedi would have been so perfect if it had opened on a shot in the swamp, and it's Luke sitting with Yoda, and he said, 'Hey you told me not to leave,' and I said, 'He screw you, my friends are in trouble, I'm going to go help 'em. I went, and because I went, my friends are in deeper trouble, and I got my hand cut off, and I got my ass kicked. I absolutely, globally, unilaterally failed,' and then Yoda would've gone, 'Now you're a Jedi, now you get it. You've gotten past your fear of failure.' Then, when Luke goes into Jabba's palace, you're like, 'Wow, now this dude is like this scary, zen warrior'… so little touches like that, I'm hoping that JJ and his writers will bring to this.

For more about the show, visit IGN's C2E2 page.

Chris Carle is the Entertainment Editorial Director of IGN. He prefers a good blaster in his hand to all this sneaking around. Follow Chris on Twitter @chriscarle and IGN.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment