Vin Diesel muscled his way to the top of the domestic box office this weekend with Riddick, which debuted with an estimated $18.7 million -- a softer than predicted opening for the sci-fi threequel that pre-release tracking suggested would bow north of $20 million.
The second film, The Chronicles of Riddick, opened to $24 million back in summer 2004, but that sequel also cost $105 million and grossed only a disappointing $115.8 million worldwide.
Here are the weekend estimates via Rentrak:
1. Riddick $18.7 million
2. Lee Daniels' The Butler $8.9 million
3. Instructions Not Included $8.1 million
4. We're the Millers $7.9 million
5. Planes $4.3 million
6. One Direction: This Is Us $4.1 million
7. Elysium $3.1 million
8. Blue Jasmine $2.7 million
9. Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters $2.5 million
10. The World's End $2.3 million
Listen to the Keepin' It Reel podcast to learn what our box office predictions were.
Source : ign[dot]com