Friday 19 July 2013

Comic-Con: Joss Whedon Gets His Own Panel

Few filmmakers have the power to command their own San Diego Comic-Con panel in front of 5,000 people, but Joss Whedon is simply one of those filmmakers. From Buffy the Vampire Slayer to his upcoming Marvel's The Avengers 2, this is a guy who's run the gamut of genre entertainment and has a special place in every fanboy and fangirl's heart.

As Whedon noted at the top of the panel, there would be no big announcements here. Instead, he opened up the floor to audience members for a good ol' fashioned Q&A, which in itself can lead to a few newsy tidbits, but this one was mostly just for fun as fans asked about various minutia from Whedon's past work, with Whedon responding in his own unique, Whedon-y way.

One of the first questions was about whether or not he'd ever consider tackling Broadway at some point. "Not anytime soon," he said, "because to do something on Broadway takes lots and lots of work, and unfortunately I am already booked for many, many years. I would love to and want to, but it's not going to be super, super soon... But yeah, duh."

Whedon was later asked a similar question about working in animation, to which he replied, "All my life I've wanted to do that, but I kind of feel like all CGI animated films are the same film -- the rhythm, the sidekicks, the parent issues... I would love to see one of these movies made as more of a PG-13 -- a tougher, more adolescent adventure story, that's not, '"We're wacky!" "We're wacky, too!"' They're fun, and some are beautifully made, but I feel like there's a sameness with what we're putting out. If you look at Japan -- obviously [Hayao] Miyazaki is great. I'd love to be the guy to do [that in America]. But since I'm busy, someone else should."

If Whedon could describe The Avengers 2 in one word, what would it be? "Movie," he said.

Could S.W.O.R.D. ever make an appearance in a Marvel Studios movie or Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? To that, Joss said he'd never really thought about it, but that it was "a cool idea." His ideal casting for Abigail Brand? When pressed, Whedon replied, "The first person that comes to mind would be Julianne Moore."

If he had access to any property on an unlimited budget, which property would he choose? "If it could be anything, yeah, we should get the crew of Serenity back together." (Naturally, that response got some pretty big cheers from the crowd.)

As we learned earlier today, Cobie Smulders made a cameo appearance in the pilot of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. When asked whether Smulders could become a series regular after How I Met Your Mother ends, Whedon said, "We don't have anything planned, but we do hope to see her again, that much I can say. I don't know that she'd want to tie herself down to another series, but hopefully she will grace us with her presence again at some point."

Legal mumbo jumbo aside, what other Marvel characters would Whedon like to include in a future Avengers movie? "Spider-Man, Wolverine, Luke Cage -- I'd take 'em all," he said. "Then I'd shoot myself because I'd have 20 characters to write."

As for the ever back-burning Dr. Horrible sequel? "It was supposed to happen this year, and then I made S.H.I.E.L.D.," he said. "Everybody's on-board and everyone wants to do it, but they're all busy doing other things." If he were to make a sequel at all, it would have to be in 2015, after The Avengers 2 -- though Whedon added that right now "I don’t have a plan for 2015, because by then I will have died."

Max Nicholson is a writer for IGN, and he desperately seeks your approval. Show him some love by following @Max_Nicholson on Twitter, or MaxNicholson on IGN.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment