Wednesday 21 August 2013

Batman #23: Greg Capullo on Batman's Big Moment

In last week's Batman #23, the third chapter of Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's Zero Year epic, we finally got to see the pivotal moment in Bruce's early career where he realizes that he must become a bat. It's a moment we've seen time and again, but only just for the first time in the context of the New 52.

Read Our Review of Batman #23

I had a quick chat with Capullo about that moment in the issue and more.

IGN Comics: Page 4 of this issue is a 9-panel grid, a layout that we don’t see much in your work. At least, not that I can recall as of late -- please correct me if I’m wrong! What about this sequence made you opt for that layout?

Greg Capullo: It's certainly not the first time! I mean, I don't keep score. It's a specific device that works well with intercutting and pacing or rhythm.

IGN: But it seems like you’ve been experimenting with layouts more throughout Zero Year – is this an effect of “getting comfortable” on the book and trying to push your boundaries? Something else?

Capullo: Well, these layouts are completely tame when compared to my body of work on Spawn. I've intentionally played things very straight with Batman. I didn't want to be too jarring for fans. Zero Year accommodates a bit more style. But, on the whole, I feel Batman -- a stoic, methodical, detective -- is better served a wee bit reserved. And, I'm anything but comfortable. Zero Year is pressure, man.

BM23_1

IGN: This issue in particular has a pretty wide color palette. Can you talk a little about the relationship between you and FCO? How much of a dialogue do you have with your colorists? How closely do you guys work together?

Capullo: Well, from the get-go, Scott was hoping to do a 180 from our typical Batman. Usually things are pretty bleak -- intentionally so. As for my relationship with FCO; we're tight. He shows me everything before anyone else and we talk about what's working and what could be different. In reality, I'm FCO's biggest fan. He always exceeds my expectation and comes up with brilliant ideas I hadn't thought of. He's a real killer who helps make our book shine.

IGN: Batman #23 holds the pivotal “Yes father, I shall become a bat” scene. You guys have talked about the challenges and pressures of doing a new origin for Batman, but I imagine this moment in particular was a pretty big deal. Is there an added pressure when you’re tackling one of those milestone moments? How do you deal with or overcome that?

Capullo: Ha! Well, you've just got to dive in, right? I give every page a lot of thought. Probably too much, these days. At the end of the day, you've gotta trust your gut and hope for the best.

BM23_2

IGN: This moment of Bruce and the Bat, no matter what version of the origin we see, is almost always present. What do you think is so striking or potent about this imagery that makes it appear time and again?

Capullo: It happens in the dark -- very dramatic because of the use of powerful blacks. It involves a bat that seems to be psychically in tune with a man -- bats are cool even without any of that, by the way. And, a man is realizing his destiny -- something every one of us is hoping to realize before meeting our end. That's my take, anyway.

IGN: Since there’s no issue of Batman next month due to Villain’s Month, has that helped you at all in terms of your schedule?

Capullo: [laughs] Not in the least. I have forty-something pages to draw. I'm a slave to the cave, brother.

BM23_3

IGN: Anything you’d like to add about Batman #23? Any teases you can offer for what’s coming up next?

Capullo: Well, I would like to thank all the people who've said such nice things about it. Team Batman is giving it our collective all for you. We're trying hard to not let you down. As for what's next, readers will be treated to an entirely new... eh, I mean old hairstyle and Bat-suit!

Joey is a Senior Editor at IGN and a comic book creator. Follow Joey on Twitter @JoeyEsposito, or find him on IGN at Joey-IGN. He often wonders whatever happened to Billy's RadBug.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment