Friday 29 March 2013

Dane DeHaan Talks The Place Beyond the Pines and The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Actor Dane DeHaan (Chronicle, In Treatment, True Blood) recently chatted with us about his new movie The Place Beyond the Pines (now playing in limited release), as well as his future stint as Harry Osborn in The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Check it out.

IGN Movies: I was curious after watching the movie, do you think that your character Jason was sort of a ticking time bomb anyway that AJ just happened to spark, or is AJ really to blame?

Dane DeHaan: I don’t think it’s AJ’s fault, no. I think that Jason’s just a kid who feels out of place, and he lets that consume him, so he goes on this quest for answers, to figure out what this thing is. He feels like if he can figure it out, it’ll unlock him as a person. That’s what drives him, that’s kind of his driving force. He wants find answers, and he wants to blaze his own trail, carve his own path. Unfortunately, he goes about it in ways that are not very helpful, but while he’s doing them he thinks they’re the right things to be doing.

IGN: Do you think of him as very much his father’s son? I couldn’t help but notice some of the visual parallels, like with the motorcycle, stuff like that. How much of his dad do you think is in him?

DeHaan: I have no idea. I guess that’s the question the movie asks. All I really focused on, obviously, was what he wants and his quest to find that. I think deep down inside of him he feels that there is a part of him that’s missing. I think he really wants to find out the answers about his father. Maybe that is because he’s a lot like his dad and he can just feel that spirit living inside of him -- maybe not. I feel like those are the questions that the movie asks and that are for the audience to decide.

IGN: What do you think of his mother (played by Eva Mendes), especially as things come to light? He must have some rather complicated emotions about what she did and didn’t tell him.

DeHaan: Yeah, I think that fuels his passion to know because it’s so obviously being held from him. I think it also allows him to fantasize about who his father is. If you’re withholding the information from me, then it must be something truly mind-blowing, if it’s such a big deal. That fuels his passion to want answers, the fact that they’re being held from him.

IGN: What does he see in AJ? What’s begin that bond between them?

DeHaan: Jason is a kid that puts up a wall of protection, and he likes to be left alone. He’s kind of a loner. For whatever reason, AJ just knows how to push all the right buttons and break down that wall and get in there. I think ultimately that feels good for Jason. I think that, even though he thinks he wants to be alone, he doesn’t actually want to be alone. It’s just his own way of protecting himself and hiding behind something so he doesn’t have to show what’s actually going on inside of him. When someone’s actually there to break down that wall, it’s kind of a liberating feeling.

IGN: A lot of audiences perhaps first saw you in True Blood. Now you’re going on to something like the Spider-Man sequel. Are you prepared -- or was that something where you actively seeking a built-in fanbase that would help more folks discover your work?

DeHaan: No, those are by no means the reasons why I’m doing it. I’m interested in it because I love superhero movies. The part is extremely complex and complicated. The people involved are people I really want to work with. It’s just another really great challenge. And I get to make a movie on a scale that I’ve never really made before and experience what that’s like. What I love to do is act, and what I’ve really gotten into lately is making movies. I just was to continue to do that and continue to grow. If those movies happen to have a huge built-in fanbase, that’s a great bonus I suppose.

IGN: Having done Chronicle, obviously you’re familiar with working with special effects and finding the reality in these fantastical situations. In addition to your acting talent, do you think that gave you an edge in the Harry Osborn role, the fact that you kind of have a pretty good idea of what you’re getting into?

DeHaan: I’m not sure. I think that having to believe fantastical circumstances is exactly the same as having to believe any sort of imaginary circumstance. It’s just a different set of circumstances. No matter what it is, it’s not actually reality and you actually have to fool yourself into believing that it’s actually happening. It’s just a different set of circumstances that you’re forced to believe.

IGN: Have you set up anything post-Spider-Man?

DeHaan: I’m not sure yet. The scripts keep getting better and the opportunities keep getting more exciting, so I’m having a lot of fun.

IGN: This must be a wild time for you.

DeHaan: Truly, truly.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment