Wednesday 8 May 2013

The Secret History of Bloodshot Revealed

With Valiant's plans for Summer 2013 being revealed, the latest comes in the form of Bloodshot #0 -- an issue that finally pulls back the curtain on Project Rising Spirit and shows us the secret origin of the book's titular character. Better yet, the issue is being written by Matt Kindt and drawn by artist ChrisCross.

Kindt, formerly known for his great indie works like Super Spy and Pistolwhip, has recently made a name for himself at Marvel and DC, writing titles like Wolverine and the X-Men AU and Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E. Now, the writer has arrived at Valiant, and I caught up with him to talk about what he's got planned for Bloodshot #0 in August.

IGN Comics: Can you talk a little about how you got involved with Valiant and landed this Bloodshot gig?

Matt Kindt: Sure... I've been plugging away on my book Mind MGMT and Warren [Simons, Executive Editor] read that and called me up to ask me if I'd be interested in Bloodshot. It was that easy. I was really excited -- I'd been reading X-O since the crazy cover with the iPhone app where it talks -- such a nutty idea -- and I'd actually been a fan of the Valiant Universe since the early 90s when they first launched. I think I still have my chromium copy of Bloodshot somewhere around the house!

IGN: The zero issues to date have mainly focused on the villains of their respective series. Is there a particular reason for the change of pace for Bloodshot?

Kindt: Yeah -- I think with Bloodshot in particular, what struck me was the feeling that Bloodshot is in and of himself an enigma. So in a way Bloodshot's biggest enemy -- his biggest "villain" is his past and who he is. So to me, his real enemy is ignorance. So for issue zero I thought it would be fun and essential to tackle what Bloodshot really is. Is he a real person somewhere in there? Or just a re-programmable shell?

IGN: What intrigues you about Bloodshot as a character?

Kindt: That idea from earlier -- the idea of what makes you "you." What makes Bloodshot who he is? If he can have his memories ripped out and then replaced and pulled out again and again... what does that leave? Is there anything there? It's really a horrible and dark situation the character is caught in -- so exploring that and figuring out what he really is was exciting to me.

Also -- reading the series so far, I was honestly shocked at how violent it was. It actually made me laugh out loud at one point -- and I have to tip my hat to the guys -- I read an action scene that I'd never seen before. Inventive and horrible -- so they've really raised the bar in that regard, and I'm more than happy to try to beat it.

IGN: To some degree, the man-or-monster ideas behind Bloodshot are relevant to the work you did on Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E. Do you feel like your work on that series helped you in regards to Bloodshot?

Kindt: I'm not sure it helps. It just gives me another opportunity to explore some similar themes but forces me to do it in a different way. I hate repeating myself so I do like the idea of trying to figure out what makes this character who he is... but it can't be the same answer I came up with for Frankenstein.

And I did find a different conclusion. He is different. I don't want to blow the story but it's surprising. And to his credit, Warren really pushed me to have a definite idea of who and what Bloodshot is. And the answer is... complicated (and super violent of course).

Bloodshot #0 Emanuela Lupacchino Wraparound Cover

IGN: What kind of ramifications will this zero issue have on the future of the series?

Kindt: I think it's pretty big. It sort of lays the groundwork for Bloodshot's self-discovery. It lets us in on some of his secrets but still keeps him in the dark. So the fun now, I think, will be watching him fight his way to answers that he's probably not going to like when he discovers 'em. A lot of dudes are gonna have to die!

IGN: Any more Valiant work to come in the future, writing or otherwise?

Kindt: Maybe!

IGN: Tease! Anything you’d like to add?

Kindt: Just thanks to everyone -- all the editors industry-wide that I'm working for now -- they've all been super supportive of Mind MGMT -- which has opened up a lot of doors for me writing-wise. I'm honestly living my dream right now. Writing and drawing my own stuff and playing with all the coolest toys that DC, Marvel, and Valiant have to offer. It doesn't get any better. It really doesn't.

Joey is a Senior Editor at IGN and a comic book creator. Follow Joey on Twitter @JoeyEsposito, or find him on IGN at Joey-IGN. After Man of Steel comes out, his life will lose all sense of direction and purpose.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment